I talked the other day about increasing retention and session times with the aim of generating as much ad revenue as possible. One thing I didn’t mention however was that I’m also planning to reduce the frequency of ads I actually serve to the user. But wait a minute, wouldn’t that actually generate me less revenue?
Howdy everyone! It’s been a while since my last post so I thought I’d let you guys know what I’ve been up to.
To be honest, I was actually readying Dare the Monkey for release. I’d finished all my planned levels for the main game mode, and added two additional game modes to boot. I’d also spoken to a few publishers and done an additional round of play testing with people.
As always the response to the game was extremely positive but I was also seeing some niggling feedback coming back time and again and I felt it wasn’t right to simply ignore it. After all, I’ve spent all this time making Dare the Monkey and I didn’t want to sell myself short right at the end of the project.
So I’ve taken all the feedback on board and now have a list of things that I think will maximise Dare’s chance of success. Today I’d like to talk about one of those things – the game’s difficulty – and I’ll talk about the others over a series of upcoming posts.
A common technique when you’re trying to squeeze as much performance as possible out of your game is to half the size of certain images then scale them back up at runtime. However there is a slight variation on this approach that could give you the saving you’re looking for without compromising the final render quality of your image so much.