I always loved the shuttle loop from Sonic the Hedgehog. It’s such an iconic thing and I have vivid memories as a teenager encountering the loop for the first time in the Green Hill Zone. I might never come up with an idea as strong as that, but I thought I’d at least try and think up something for Dare that perhaps had a similar sense of speed and exhilaration. As always I sketched out a few quick ideas to see if anything would stick. Here’s one that did.
I thought I’d share a quick doodle I made when coming up with ideas for one of Dare the Monkey’s ice levels. Yeah I know, ice worlds are such a cliché but in my defence, I am making a game that pays homage to classic 8- and 16-bit platform games, so I think it’s allowed.
I took Dare the Monkey on the road last year, visiting many expos across the country and getting valuable user feedback. I noticed that the better players were counting the number of lives they’d lost trying to clear all the levels in each game world. It was all about bragging rights for them as they tried to get through all the levels in as few lives as possible.
Way back when I started working on Dare the Monkey my intention was to make a game with nine increasingly difficult levels and that was it. However, about a year and a half into the project I started to think about ways to keep the player interested for longer and from that the Coin Dash mode was born.
Now based on the most recent feedback, it’s clear those who’ve play tested the game want even more Coin Dash content. So here’s what I have planned.
I talked the other day about increasing retention and session times with the aim of generating as much ad revenue as possible. One thing I didn’t mention however was that I’m also planning to reduce the frequency of ads I actually serve to the user. But wait a minute, wouldn’t that actually generate me less revenue?
Howdy everyone! It’s been a while since my last post so I thought I’d let you guys know what I’ve been up to.
To be honest, I was actually readying Dare the Monkey for release. I’d finished all my planned levels for the main game mode, and added two additional game modes to boot. I’d also spoken to a few publishers and done an additional round of play testing with people.
As always the response to the game was extremely positive but I was also seeing some niggling feedback coming back time and again and I felt it wasn’t right to simply ignore it. After all, I’ve spent all this time making Dare the Monkey and I didn’t want to sell myself short right at the end of the project.
So I’ve taken all the feedback on board and now have a list of things that I think will maximise Dare’s chance of success. Today I’d like to talk about one of those things – the game’s difficulty – and I’ll talk about the others over a series of upcoming posts.